Iowa Fly Fisher

Yes, fly fishing in Iowa 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Carp In Ames?

TNFlyfisher

Hey everyone,

I hope the summer is trating everyone to the low water smallmouth fishing that seems to be gettng hotter by the day! Is anyone aware of anywhere in the Ames area that could provide some shots at tailing carp? The smallmouth have been pretty easy to locate, but I am still drawing blanks on carp. I have investugated a lot of the river where I thought carp would be holding to feed, but have not seen one yet. Any suggestions? Tight lines to all!!

July 31, 2017 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FishnDave

For whatever reason, the Skunk River does not have a good population of carp.  I have seen a few, but they are by no means common.

I have caught Smallmouth Buffalo in Peterson Pit East, you could try for those.

Ada Hayden has carp and buffalo...the trick would be finding suitable shallow areas and time it right to find the carp feeding there.

Your best shot for carp might be making the drive to Saylorville Lake.  Walk the shorelines and look for carp feeding along the sandy/rocky edges.  Some places  you might start are the point SW of the Oak Grove Beach, and the Sandpiper Beach area.  Mornings and late evenings seem to be best times to find them along the shorelines.  Wakes from boat traffic will make them harder to find, and they seem to move off shore a bit at those times.  During the week with little boat traffic, maybe you could find them feeding along the shore all day long.  Beadhead woolly buggers in all black or all white have worked for us.  Saylorville has a lot of shad, and the carp will feed on them whenever they can catch them (usually when the shad are still small).

Good luck!

July 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
Good suggestions from Dave - to which I'll add, the Boone River is a great carp venue, but if you are a wading only angler it will be a little tougher. In that case I'd say wading downstream from Tunnel Mill (R27) would be a good option. Also wading down from Bever Bridge (D41 aka. 280th St.) could be good as well as upstream from Albright's (Inkpaduta Ave.). There's always Brushy Creek below the lake and the spillway. The Des Moines in the Boone area can give up some big fish when conditions are just right. At the moment there's a bit of an algae bloom and visibility isn't great - with it's deeper nature the fish can disappear so easily, and there are groundwater seeps and crumbly rock along the bluffs that make walking the bank difficult. The advantage is that you can drive, or hike a short trail to most of the good areas. Where the railroad tracks cross Kale Rd. just below the Fraser dam is a trail leading downstream to some nice rocky creek deltas, further down is the Big Eddy and a riffle stretching across the entire river though the level needs to be a bit lower for that to really turn on. Below the former Boone WW dam a trail leads past some rocky areas to a prime creek delta. Where 224th Ln dead ends just south of Hwy 30 you can hike to 2 nice bluffs - the downstream one with the slightly longer hike is the better of the 2 but both have produced carp for me. Several more trails and bluffs exist as well - it's marginal now, but not impossible, hopefully conditions improve.
July 31, 2017 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rwar1423

@TNFlyfisher I fished Saylorville after class at guard base, and one of the places where I saw carp was at the Cherry Glenn boat ramp, off NW 94 AVE.  Just to the south is a cove.  There were submerged plants the carp was weaving in and out of.  The only thing is when a boat would cruise by closer, the waves made the carp more skittish, and they'd stop feeding and move off to a safer place.  They were in shallow water, less than knee deep.

August 2, 2017 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

FishnDave

I know that area, Eric.  between the boat ramps and the jetty.  The water is at normal level right now,  so those weeds aren't flooded.  I haven't been over to check on carp there yet...if they ARE there, they might be easier to fish for since we wouldn't have to place our fly around those weeds.

I was out at Saylorville on Wednesday this week, south of Sandpiper Beach.  Flyfished for carp about 1/2 the time.  Hooked at least 5, landed 4...and my buddy also got one on his fly rod.

August 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
Wow! Great job Dave!
August 5, 2017 at 12:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.