Iowa Fly Fisher

Yes, fly fishing in Iowa 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > new for 2017

backwatergallery
Administrator

#4, loud color, murky water version of the low surface area carp/drum fly.

December 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
I guess it's not any louder than the original, it's the contrasting color that's new. Same monofilament keel is used to prevent twisting of the dumbbell eye around the shank. Wanted to add a rattle to this, but couldn't find a good method - perpendicular to the shank was too wide, parallel was too tall. Tried inserting the rattle into hollow nylon cords,but couldn't make it work. Eventually settled on melting a plastic tube and nylon cord together with a rattle inside and soaking in head cement to drive out air bubbles and help it endure the rigors of casting. Te tube can be slipped on the tippet ahead of the fly - we'll see next year if it works or not.
December 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

FishnDave

Nice!!  I can't tell for sure....is the body chenille?

December 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
It is chenille, here is my first attempt at a short shank Clouser with optional stinger. The mono loop maintains the hook point up bias. Haven't tested in water yet.

The bucktail version is proving quite hard to tie with the short shank and mono under carriage and I might resort to a longer shank without a point followed by a short shank hook rigged like an Intruder.

December 20, 2016 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

Getting somewhere now with a slightly modified method.

December 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
Tinkered around with tubes a bit, those metal tubes I mentioned get burs when cut and I need a really small rat tail file to debur them, using plastic tubing to protect the tippet would defeat the interchangeability. But I may abandon the idea altogether, the smaller of the 2 I wanted to tie the bodies with is slightly too small, when I crush it to the width needed to insert the eye of a #4 Owner mosquito hook the height is slightly too small. It would work with the larger diameter tube, but it's a wee bit too large for the style of tying I had in mind.

Meanwhile I found the same hook tied on 8# flouro tippet fits snugly into a hollow, plastic Q-tip barrel, so I tied a floss and mylar tinsel body w/ Matuka style saddle feather "wing" w/ lead free wire, hackle collar over which a second collar of wing-n-flash in a dubbing loop was wrapped. Had a nice thread head built up by that point so I just painted eyes on it. It was keel weighted like the Belly Scratcher with a single 1/8th" brass bead. Overall, 3" long, 1/2 " tall and doubtlessly super easy to cast while having a decent sink rate.

I haven't tested it yet, but am confident of maintaining an upward hook point in water due to the following 3 factors. The Owner mosquito hook has a slight up eye of about 20 degrees, so when inserted hook point up there is as much metal below the tube as above it, the bead is roughly twice the weight of the hook point, and there is the resistance of the saddle feathers on top of the tube. It may be a good way of having a long body, but fighting the fish on a short shank hook thus reducing the tendency of hook point up flies to lever out of the upper jaw when the fish gets close. But I think it doesn't meet my goal of making flies a little safer for the fish - so I'll probably go back to tying on shorter shank hooks with a stinger option.
December 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

January 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

Will try replacing the original 3/0 offset shank hook of Cermele's Slop Buster with a large octopus hook. Also abandoned plans incorporating a detachable treble stinger, the extra wire needed throws the balance off.

Here is a shad type on a short shank hook with optional stinger

January 17, 2017 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

A new variation on Dale's 180 Muddler connecting 2 hooks (of the large eyed variety meant to slip onto the hook of a spinnerbait as a stinger) with a Chocklett's Big Game shank. The shank is secured to the head hook with wire and wrapped down so it moves very little. The tail hook wiggles freely side-to-side but up-and-down is restricted by a wire loop (visible below the eye of the hook in the lower image) tied to the articulation shank. As you will recall I wanted only side to side movement to maintain a baitfish profile at all times, and prevent the occasional tangle with the tippet or another part of the fly.

January 18, 2017 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FishnDave

Hm.  I like that Slop Buster...The cupped face might still pick up weeds, but the hook would definitely catch fewer weeds than the standard popper hook placement.

January 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVjA7DlYHc
This link should take you to the video for Joe's original pattern.
January 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
I might try pulling wire (instead of an articulation shank) through the foam head with a bait needle, then making a loop on both ends, adding a clip to the tail end which would receive any number of different hooks and configurations thereof.
January 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

Created with 6.3 mm. sculpin heads and craft fur (with the underfur left in), these, tested today, seem about the maximum weight and surface area/bulk I'm comfortable microSkagit casting with both of the following outfits; 9', 7wt. rod, 15', 185 gr. head, 8 ft. sink tip, and 9', 5 wt. rod, 13', 160 gr. head, 8' floating tip. I tried using a true circle hook attached to the body shank with a loop of 65# Power Pro braid, the hook tangled with the body after a botched double Spey set up. So I'm replacing the braid loop with 20# monofilament snelled.

January 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator

A couple flying ants on #10 forged hooks for carp - while they're both oversized to stand out from the crowd, the foam one ended up way too big and could cross over as a beetle, not sure how durable it will really be. Forged hook caddis adult with a big puff of parapost to help it float, also for carp. a couple "caddis" larva heavily weighted like Czech nymphs for those aggressive, approachable, but almost impossible to present a fly to riffle feeding carp. And a lake dwelling (red worm) midge adult and pupae for Spring urban trout, etc..

January 30, 2017 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.