Iowa Fly Fisher

Yes, fly fishing in Iowa 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New Guy in Town

TNFlyfisher

Hey Guys, 

I am a new grad student at Iowa State University. I am from NE Tennessee where, as our license plate says, "Smallmouth is King". Is there any good places near me in Ames to target smallies? I dont need big fish i just need some bronzebacks! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

August 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

iowaflyfisher
Site Owner

Fish the South Skunk River between Story City and Ames, especially in the vicinity of Soper's Mill Park. See the recent Forum Post "Skunk River 7-30-2016" by FishnDave. Also note backwatergallery's blog post, "Bell's Mill to Tunnel Mill," which describes the Boone River. That's less than an hour from you.

August 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

FishnDave

Welcome!  There's even Smallies in Squaw Creek, just west of campus.  :)

What graduate program are you in?

August 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TNFlyfisher
I am in the PhD Toxicology program! I will plan on trying the Sopers Mill area on Saturday! Any chance of finding carp?
August 19, 2016 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
There are carp in the South Skunk (and all other rivers in Iowa). The level of the South Skunk rose and fell rapidly earlier this week, so while it is back down to a wadeable level - I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit too turbid for a really successful carp outing.

And there's more rain forecast Friday night into Saturday morning. If you click on the "homewaters" tab at the top of this page you'll see a list of rivers, a recommended level, and a link to the current NWS river gauge read-out. If a river rises above the recommended level it's pretty much blown out. There are other useful links with similar information in the "NE Iowa" forum post.

A plan B involving lakes is probably a good idea this weekend. Brushy Creek lake near Webster City (and the Boone river) is great if you have a boat of some kind. Much tougher w/o a boat, but wading the spillway can sometimes produce. I've never fished Ada Hayden lake on the north side of Ames, as it's structure isn't ideal for fly fishing, but Dave has caught fish there and it's probably a better plan B than Mc Farland park, or either of the Peterson Pits in terms of water clarity, and shore access.
August 19, 2016 at 1:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TNFlyfisher

Thanks so much for the input guys! I got my license today and am planning on fishing tomorrow. I checked the link in the homewaters tab and am seeing that the flow is 1.19 with a preferred range of .5-1.5. Am reading thia correctly? This is a wadable and fishable flow right? Tight Lines to all!!!

August 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

backwatergallery
Administrator
You are reading it correctly. Unfortunately, the rain that's fallen in the last few hours will likely mess things up. The Boone river to the north has already risen rapidly above the recommended level and the South Skunk has now risen to 1.5 ft. and looks set to go even higher. Wading is out at this point and the water is muddy - while it wouldn't be impossible to get a smallmouth maybe around the "dams" in Ames, Story City, or Soper's Mill - I think you'd be better off going to plan B especially if the river continues rising overnight. At least we're not in Louisiana right now.
August 20, 2016 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TNFlyfisher
Absolutely! My heart goes out to the Louisana residents now. On a much happier note, I fished a pond in Nevada and had a great time, caught 4 largemouth, and several more bluegills! I will post pics as soon as I figure out how!! Thanks to all!
August 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.