Iowa Fly Fisher

Yes, fly fishing in Iowa 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Coldwater Creek

DriftlessJunkie

I am going on a trip to Dorchester to fish my old favorite Waterloo creek and I was wondering if it would be worth the extra trip to swing over to Coldwater creek for a day?

Thanks, any advice is helpful.

March 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

djo

Coldwater is an interesting fishery.  It contains a mix of stream-grown browns and stocker rainbows (although probably not many this time of year).  The fish density is reported to be fairly high and there are a couple of miles of fishable water.  I have had at best mediocre luck there - but I know of others that include it in their regular fishing rotation.  It does get heavily hammered by by catch and kill fishermen and so you are unlikely to find either soliture of larger fish.  A 15 or 20 minute walk away from the parking lot (up stream) will get you away from the major stocking holes and into a bit more of both.

David

--

If God had wanted us to fish with graphite why did He create bamboo and not carbon fibers?

March 3, 2016 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DriftlessJunkie

Do you know anything about the sporadic natural reproduction of rainbows? I have heard that the scenery makes the stream. Im not expecting to knock them dead because I know Waterloo is just about as good as it gets but more wanted to see the largest cave in Iowa.

March 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DriftlessJunkie

Do you know anything about the sporadic natural reproduction of rainbows? I have heard that the scenery makes the stream. Im not expecting to knock them dead because I know Waterloo is just about as good as it gets but more wanted to see the largest cave in Iowa.

March 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason

Its a long hike to the cave, I don't know much about the reproduction of rainbows in the stream but I have heard that it occurs there. There have been several occasions where I have caught rainbows in the 5 inch range on that creek. I think they are stream born because the DNR typically stocks 10-13 inch fish. Some streams do get stocked with fingerlings but I don't know if that's one of them. I have always done well at Coldwater. This time of year the weed growth is down so you can fish the lower end of the stream easily. DJO is right about taking a walk away from the parking area, I seldom see any one else 10 minutes away from there. Hope you do well, if I could get out of work this weekend I would be heading that way myself. 

March 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DriftlessJunkie

Jason at March 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Its a long hike to the cave, I don't know much about the reproduction of rainbows in the stream but I have heard that it occurs there. There have been several occasions where I have caught rainbows in the 5 inch range on that creek. I think they are stream born because the DNR typically stocks 10-13 inch fish. Some streams do get stocked with fingerlings but I don't know if that's one of them. I have always done well at Coldwater. This time of year the weed growth is down so you can fish the lower end of the stream easily. DJO is right about taking a walk away from the parking area, I seldom see any one else 10 minutes away from there. Hope you do well, if I could get out of work this weekend I would be heading that way myself. 

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I am definitely going to have to stop by and try it.

March 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DriftlessJunkie

Jason at March 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I am definitely going to have to stop by and try it.

March 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

iowaflyfisher
Site Owner

More rainbows survive the winter than many anglers realize. I fished Trout Run on Saturday - which is almost within Decorah city limits with a paved trail along it. If ever there was a stream that gets hammered, it's Trout Run. Yet I caught rainbows from 11 to 16 inches in most of the usual spots. I've had the same experience in all the good-sized streams throughout the state. Stocking ended in October, but decent fishable numbers remain. Let's face it, most of the bucket brigade does not brave the cold.

March 4, 2016 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Huntnpack

The brookie pictured in my post from my "January outing" was caught at coldwater creek. It came out of the very first plunge pool out of the cave. If you go, the cave entrance is a must see. I fished the Decorah area Monday, and caught several Browns on a couple size 18 parachute patterns. When a trout take my indicator I have trouble not switching to dries....

--

March 4, 2016 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.